About the Bill Folz Memorial "Golf for Vocations" Tournament and Fund Raiser
Bill Folz, Jr. was known as "Mr. Serra" in Arizona. He held many offices including Serra International board member, and hosted the Serra International Conference in Phoenix during the 1980s. Despite all of the honors. Bill remained a constant servant to promote vocations as a Serran.
Bill's real passion for consecrated vocations within the Catholic Church was evident as he helped found several Serra Clubs. He was the president of the Phoenix Club and helped start the Serra Club of the East Valley in 2001. Bill could bring the resources together from Serra National and International to assist a new club.
Bill was also a dedicated volunteer at our first two golf tournaments and enjoyed working the prize holes. With his quick wit and humor he was a natural to encourage players to ante up with financial support for vocations. Join us in honoring Bill, who remains a great example of what it means to be a "Serran":
- To pray daily for current and new vocations to religious life.
- To foster fellowship by affirming vocations to the ordained priesthood and vowed religious life in our community. Through Serran ministry we strengthen ou rmembers and our common Catholic faith.
- To encourage new candidates to the priesthood by providing funds to support the Diocesan Vocations Office.
Serra International is named after Saint Junipero Serra, the noted Spanish missionary. Our purpose is to foster and promote vocations to the Catholic priesthood and religious life and to encourage its members to fulfill their own Christian vocations to service.
The East Valley Serra Club organizes the "Golf for Vocations" tournament to directly benefit the Catholic Diocese of Phoenix Vocations Office. The Serra Clubs have been asked by Bishop Thomas Olmsted to support an increase in the number of seminarian candidates over the next decade. Your participation and donations will help support our new priests. The cost of adding new seminarians is significant. Your support helps educate new candidates to the priesthood and religious life. Our goal is to continue the quality of education for all young candidates who are called. Your added financial support will be a welcome response to the increase in vocations and allow Serra to support the following objectives:
- Encouraging new candidates to the priesthood by providing funds to support the Diocesan Vocations Office.
- Providing Mass kits to newly ordained priests on the day of their ordination.
- Supporting and affirming existing religious vocations in our diocese.
Remember, encouraging more religious vocations is everyone's responsibility and with your support of this event, the Serra Club can encourage and educate more young people to the diaconate, religious life, and priesthood. If you would like to get involved with Serra, please attend one of our meetings.